Saturday, February 21, 2009

The beginning...

Photobucket Album

Here's some recent pics of our family. I hope that you enjoy them.

Well I suppose it is finally time I post on our blog. So here I (Tina) begin (again ;) )...

What a blessing these past couple of weeks have been. I have been "secretly" living my stay at home mom dream and on top of that I get paid for it!!! LOL (laughing out loud)! Just want to give a "thank you" to Jerry at Dr. Lemming's office for making that happen :) That's the best part for me. Some of you may or may not know...Aaron and I have been trying faithfully to discipline ourselves financially to pay off our debt (most of our debt consists of mainly Sallie Mae school loans). It has been so heavy on my heart to stay home with Katherine, but in the "natural" our situation financially seems that it will be awhile for that to come to pass.

BUT God...He works in ways we can never fathom or faintly understand. God has such a bigger picture of what is to come. Like a friend of mine said...we only see a "piece of our quilt"...God sees the entire masterpiece...and I know that it is beautifully woven.

I have been able to stay at home with Katie these past couple of weeks because of what they have finally diagnosed as a malignant brain tumor (that has probably been growing for quite some time....maybe ten years?). Did I mention that I am loving being able to stay at home and love on my little girl and husband...and all because of a brain tumor! Some moments I feel a little guilty because I am now being paid to stay home and love on my family... but I always smile and thank God for my little guilty pleasure (I am smiling from ear to ear as I write this...so don't think I feel too guiltly for being home. LOL.)

On Tuesday, February 2, 2009 at 2:30 a.m. ish Aaron woke up to what was finally decided as me having a seizure. (The Tuesday before I had a brief seizure during the time we typically get up and dressed for work, but we hadn't understood that it was a seizure at that time. Aaron mentioned I was acting confused, kind of in a stupor, slurring my words and just acting funny, but I quickly (within a few minutes) began acting normally and we went on about our day. I didn't have any other symptoms so we dismissed it and went on. The following Monday (Februrary 1st) I wasn't feeling up to par at work. I had shortness of breath, feeling a bit dizzy and nauseated...so I decided that I would make an appointment with my G.P., Dr. Lemming (who always gets me in quickly and calls back the same day!) the next day. Well I didn't make it to the next day...I had "the seizure" that next morning.

Aaron called my next door neighbors to watch Katherine and they took me off in an ambulance to the hospital. I was at the hospital for three days. They conducted CAT scans, Chest X-Rays, MRI's, blood work, etc. (My G.P. later told me that they actually tested me for drugs. LOL! Which I thought was hilarious.) to figure out what had caused the seizure(s).

Long story short...they say it's a brain tumor that they think is an astrocytoma (there are different grades of these things, but I won't bore you with details because truthfully they are just giving their best clinical judgement and can't tell us 100% what exactly the type of tumor it is until a pathology report comes back) . Here is a website that gives you a short and sweet version... http://www.sleh.com/sleh/Section004/index.cfm?pagename=Brain%20Cancer&PageMD=CANCER.

Since being home (February 6th) Aaron and I have consulted and had three neurosurgeon opinions from the best of the best in this country. Praise God we live in Houston where people come from all over the nations to find the best medical care. A couple of days ago, we decided on a neurosurgeon with God's guidance and help, Youssef Comair, M.D. and his team at St. Lukes Episcopal Hospital in the medical center. We are at total peace with our final decision and are excited that we have some closure on a surgery date and pre-op procedures.

The following are what is coming up for us...

February 23 (Monday)- A.M. --pre-op blood work, etc.

P.M.-- 1 p.m. Functional MRI

March 2 (Monday) -- 6 P.M. --Stealth MRI (don't really know what all this is, but I am just giving you what I know. LOL!) They do shave my little punkin head at this appointment (the gist...the tumor is in the right top front half of my brain) not sure how much...hopefully not too much! I do love my hair :)

March 3 (Tuesday)-- 6 A.M. --Check-in for surgery

8 A.M. --Surgery is underway...pray for my team, including the neurosurgeon, nurse practitioner, anesthesiologist, etc. They say it could take up to 8 hours. We'll see. Oh did I mention the awesome, really cool part for me...is that I actually get to be awake during the surgery! They get to ask me questions and make sure that I can move my legs, etc. Just think...I can say that I have been awake while someone actually picked my brain. LOL.

We do want everyone to know that we have a lot of confidence in our team at St. Lukes (we think they are the best!)... BUT our ultimate faith and trust is in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He is the great Physician and Healer and although we don't know exactly what this process "looks like" we KNOW that He has already completely healed me (spiritually, emotionally and physically) :)

So this is where we are at in our life...at this moment. (Did you know...This took a lot of brain power to remember and type all this (the medication they give you for this stuff...can make you a little loopy).

God is so sovereign and faithful...He has given us so much strength through all of this. Yes, I am human and have gone through a grieving process and a reality check of what this all looks like from maybe your perspective looking from the outside in...but know that my GOD has given US the grace in this situation from the inside looking out. Sometimes things from the outside looking in can appear completely overwhelming because God hasn't given us the grace to go through those situations, but know that those going through them...He has given the grace to make it through.

So this is my tidbit from my corner of the world today...our blog will continue to be updated so that all of you are informed of what is going on. This seems like one of the most practical ways we can keep everyone in the loop...without being overwhelmed with phone calls, texts, emails, etc. We pray that this helps keep you in the loop, but please if you feel the need to talk to us please call.

Lastly, Aaron and I want to thank everyone who has kept us in your constant prayers, thoughts, prayer chains, etc. We are truly blessed to have each and everyone of you in our lives! Thank you again for everything you have done to support us...even the practical things. We love you and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as well.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Tina

    We love you guys sooo much. We are praying that God's Healing Power will work miraculously in your life. We will be praying on each of the dates that you have given us and all dates in between. Give our love to Aaron. We will contine to view your blog for updates.

    Love,
    Thad & Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    We are writing to let you guys know that we love you very much. We are standing in agreement with you guys for God's Healing Power to touch you. Give Aaron our love. We will continue to check your blog for updates. We want you to know that we will be praying for you on each of the dates that you listed and all dates in between. We love you guys!

    Thad & Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best news I could have through all this is that you know Jesus, trust your Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit is guiding your every footstep. Your faith strenghtens ours and in turn, it will come back to you 100 fold - and right when you need it most too! You ARE correct, He gives the grace to those who are going through it.

    Love you guys!
    Darren Upp

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina: You are in my prayers daily. Carla Eggerman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tina and Aaron, We know that God has already healed you and are in prayer with you guys as you take this journey. We are praying for your health and strength and know that nothing but blessings will come from the situation. We love you and are here for you!
    Renita and Will Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Tina and Aaron, we know that God has already done a miraculous work in you and healing you everyday! We are in prayer for your health and strength everyday and will continue to pray as you continue on this journey. We love you and are here for you.

    Renita and Will Miller

    ReplyDelete
  7. You light up my life.... praying that your light continues to shine brightly for all to see.

    love you so
    corie

    ReplyDelete
  8. dearest aaron & tina,
    we have been so richly blessed by witnessing your constant & unceasing faith in our God & His will for your lives.thank you for living so LARGE in your walk.we love you and are lifting you up in prayer daily.phil.4:13
    ronnie & debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tina,
    I know that you don't know me...but we are in compass class with Leo and Rea. I got an email about your surgery, and wanted to know that you're in my prayers.

    There is also another reason I'm writing. I've recently become the project manager for a ministry called ImaWitness. Check out the website if you get a chance. It's a website that has been started and funded all by one man...who his only purpose for it, is to create a place where people can upload their testimonies to give other people hope when they are going through a tough/similar situation. I know that you have an incredible support system, and I can see that you're already full of hope. But I can also see that being full of hope means that you have a lot to give! I would be thrilled to record your testimony after the surgery (i know that it might be a good long while before you're feeling up to any such task), but I wanted to at least mention it now, so that when you're feeling up to it, you might respond to me and let me know if you'd like to share your story with the world! I am excited to think that you'd be such a big part of this movement..and be such an encouragement to others who don't have the hope and faith that you do in their health challenges! So, with that I will leave you the website address, and my email. I can't wait to hear the rest of this story! Blessings to you and your family!
    www.imawitness.com
    phebe@imawitness.com

    Many, many blessings!
    Phebe

    ReplyDelete
  10. To you and your family - only God knows the path we are to take. May He hold your hand and provide you ultimate comfort along the way. God Bless you Tina and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Father God, Father God thank you Lord jesus, I did not what had been going on, but your'e spirit is a blessing, in the name of Jesus, all I can say is praise him, you are a wonderful anchored family, Jesus, I will keep you in prayer!

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete