Thursday, June 2, 2011

Love

In his book What's So Amazing About Grace? Philip Yancey tells the story of a prostitute who rented out her two year-old daughter for sex and used the money to support her drug habit. When asked if she had thought about going to church for help, a look of "pure, naive shock…crossed her face. ‘Church!' she cried. ‘Why would I ever go there? I was already feeling terrible about myself. They'd just make me feel worse.' "

Unfortunately, this woman's viewpoint speaks for many people's view of Christianity. I for one, haven't always expressed what Jesus would say true love is; in I Corinthians 13:4-7 He says, " Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." As Christians we are to express God's love to others; when we do, it gives us an opportunity to truly demonstrate the joy of love to others.

When we demonstrate Christ's love, we are able to win over others' hearts to Christ, as it shows others that we as Christians, can set aside our own "fleshly," natural inclinations of being selfish. It is then that others can be drawn to want to know "why is it that that person did this for me, especially when I didn't deserve it."

As the woman in Yancey's book felt the criticism of Christians, we can combat that viewpoint by demonstrating the fruits of the Spirit, love being one of them (Galatians 5:22-23). As I have journeyed through my "radiation vacation," God has shown me that the power of loving others' can not only truly benefit them, but me as well. For it displays God's holy spirit working in me and ultimately fulfilling his law.

I have enjoyed seeing others' smile, as I have complimented them or when I have smiled at them and they smile back at me. It let's me know that God's light and love shines through me to them. Including today, I have five days left of this "radiation vacation" and I intend to purposefully show my therapists, all that God has done for me through this journey.

Besides my "baldness" [see the exhibit picture on my May 23rd blog post] and some fatigue, with God's protection and grace, I have had no other side effects. I continue to persevere and can't wait until Tuesday. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment