Monday, May 23, 2011

Update on my radiation vacation...

Last Tuesday (May 17th) we met with both my neuro-oncologist (Dr. Yung) and the radiation oncologist (Dr. Mahajan). They both seemed very pleased as to how well I was doing (as am I). Dr. Yung commented, "I can't believe how well you are doing." I also saw him at the Brain Tumor Conference and he asked what I was doing, and all I could say was "G-O-D." He too is a Christian and was in total agreement with me. I told him, ultimately God has control of all things and I have to leave it all up to Him.

I apparently seem to be doing quite well overall. I know it is only Jesus who sustains me through all of this; as well as being obedient to sticking to my dietary needs and listening to my body when it needs to rest. My daily break-through seizures have disappeared; except for this past Saturday (I finally figured out why I had five of them; I forgot to take my medications that morning...Oops!) This seemed to be a great indicator to both of my doctors that the radiation was definitely the right choice for me and that it was working to stop the cancer from growing.

I am pretty much bald on the top of my head ( I actually look like one of those men with male pattern baldness)
I look like the image in VA except for that pretty much the whole right side of my head is bald (with a sprickets of hair here and there). I can't even do one of those bad combovers that those old men do when they are basically completely bald (see image VII). LOL! I tried, but it didn't really work. :) I do however still have the length of my hair (a little on the back and bottom of my hairline) that is still there...so I can wear hats or scarves to help protect my head from being sunburnt and also (of course, like any other woman) to feel like my hair is somewhat "normal". I have thought about shaving it all off, given that the hair that is falling out seems to be sensitive in that area and hurts on occasion; however, since it wouldn't look like a buzz cut and more like a baby's bottom (LOL!)...I honestly am not ready for that and don't want to do it. :) But like I said before, what a small short-term sacrifice! Besides the whole hair side effect, I have had some minor fatigue issues, but since I have had so much fatigue in the past, I have learned to function in my dysfunction, but rest when I know I need to.

Today is radiation day 18...I will go get zapped later tonight and keep you updated as the week goes on. I have about two and a half more weeks. My last day is June 7th. Yay!!! And then I get to ring the infamous BELL for everyone to hear to commemorate the grand finale of your last treatment! It really is an exciting day...and typically the people in the lobby clap and cheer for you! I can't wait until that day comes...so I can say, "it is finished!!!!" As I sit and write this...I have tears of joy running down my cheeks...because it reminds me of what a great and mighty God I serve. He has never left me, never forsaken me, and has always followed through with His promises and will for my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment