Monday, April 4, 2011

My refuge and my strength

I love to read Psalm 46. It reminds me that God is always there to help, providing refuge, security, strength, and peace. His power is complete and His word is forever. This Psalm reminded me of the recent events in Japan where so many have lost their shelter [refuge] due to the recent earthquakes. "So we will not fear, even if earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea (Psalm 46:2)" Through these words it reminds me that no matter what is happening around me I can always count on my God to be there in my times of trouble.

When we face trials and are in the midst of a storm, God will help give us confidence and quiet our hearts. I have to continue to keep these words in the forefront of my mind over and over again. This past week I had a severe seizure where I had to be admitted into the hospital for a few days. The end result from the neurologist there basically said that the right side of my brain is pretty swollen and the left side is a little less. Given that news, he was basically gave me medications to help the swelling stay down and referred me back to my neurooncologist. I will not see my neuroocologist until April 12th. At the moment it seems like it it light years away. It has shaken up our world a bit for a few moments, but then it is words like these that remind me that there can be a calm and peace in the midst of my storm. "Be merciful and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed.—Psalm 57:1

God reminds us that we can take refuge in the shadows of his wings and still rejoice because we can be confident that He will be there until our storms have passed. I have had to remind myself of this these past few days. Kathie Pelton says this in her writings, " The enemy loves to come in stormy seasons of our lives to try to steal our perspective. He loves to taunt us with a sense of being uncovered and left without shelter. The enemy is eager to accuse God of breaking His promises and abandoning us in our times of need. It is very easy in the middle of a storm to lose our perspective and begin to doubt."

It can be very easy to lose perspective in the midst of the storm, but know that I AM is always your strength and refuge in times of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment