Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Shepherd

This morning I will be visiting my neurooncologist's office. I'm not really sure how I feel about this appointment. If you don't already know, this past month has been and up and down month; given that I have been in the hospital twice (once for something unrelated to this cancer thing and the second due to a grandmal seizure). From what the neurologist at the hospital said I have swelling in my brain; more so on my right side than my left. So today I will see what Dr. Yung has to say about all of this. I can honestly say that I have a supernatural peace about it, but at the same time (given my human nature) I feel in this moment that I "need" to know what he has determined will be the next step in this journey. I feel at moments...some anxiety and fear about "what is next," but then God reminds me as I read in this verse from Isaiah, "He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart" (Isaiah 40:11).

When I read these words, I was reminded that my Daddy is always watching out over me and he gives me the privilege of crawling into His arms and laying my head on His chest. I am reminded, as a shepherd guides his sheep, so my Father in heaven is guiding my steps, protecting me, and giving me His provision.

In Psalm 23, David describes the Lord as being his shepherd. David spent many of his early years as a shepherd watching out over his own flock. The sheep are completely dependent upon the shepherd to guide them. As the Lord is our shepherd; so we are his sheep. As these verses in Psalm 23 describe what Jesus is to us, allow them to also give you God's peace, knowing that He is leading you, guiding you, and refreshing your soul.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake."

My prayer for you (and me) today is that you allow yourself to be in peace when the storms of life try to take over. And when you feel yourself crawling down from the lap of your Father God to chase after the troubles in this life; gather yourself back into His arms and allow Him to hold you, to carry you, to guide you, to protect you, and to give you His peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment